Celebrating Over 90 Years of scientific excellence in agricultural sciences and human nutrition
In 1839, the Agricultural Department of the U.S. Patent Office is established to collect statistics, distribute seeds/plant and compile/distribute information.
In 1862, the Agricultural Department of the U.S. Patent Office is established as an independent entity, the USDA. The Agriculture Building is constructed in 1867 on the Mall in Washington, DC. This Building was torn-down in the 1930's to make room for the current USDA complex on Independence Avenue.
In 1883, animal research is transferred from the Mall to the new Veterinary Experiment Station at 18th Street and Benning Road in Washington, DC. In 1897, the Veterinary Experiment Station is relocated to Bethesda, MD.
In 1903, plant research is transferred from the Mall to the new Arlington Farms Experiment Station in Arlington, VA.
In 1910, the dairy and animal husbandry research is transferred to Beltsville, MD. Animal disease research is relocated to Beltsville in 1936.
In 1939, plant research at Arlington Farms Experiment Station is transferred to Beltsville, MD