FAR-B is a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting the research, educational, and outreach programs at the Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center. Its members include talented and dedicated USDA alumni as well as individuals or groups from academia, industry, government, BARC employees and the general public.
BARC is the centerpiece of the Agricultural Research Center (ARS), the research arm of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. It has an international reputation for its cutting-edge research in just about every scientific area and discipline.
FAR-B's goals are:
- Disseminate information regarding research accomplishments and expertise of BARC scientists
- Organize, sponsor, and finance major symposia, field days, and scientific seminars
- Generate funds to upgrade research equipment and facilities
- Present information and expert testimony to the U.S. Congress to support adequate funding for high-priority research
- Provide Travel Grant funds to BARC scientists for travel to cooperating laboratories and professional meetings when finances permit
- Present educational programs to local students that focus on research conducted at BARC.