These instructions provide a general procedure for downloading and installing the Dairy Greenhouse Gas Model (DairyGHG) software. Some variation in terminology and available procedures exists among various Windows Operating Systems. These generic instructions should provide a successful installation with any Windows system. Other procedures specific to your operating system and available software may work. You may wish to print these instructions with your browser before attempting the download.
1. DairyGHG execution requires a Windows 2000, Windows XP, or higher operating system. About 20 MB of disk storage space is required to install and store the program and associated files. A version of Windows Installer is required to complete installation. During the installation, you will receive a prompt if this software is not on your computer. The installation procedure will then automatically download and install this required software if needed.
2. Before downloading the model, we ask that you fill out the registration so that we can keep a record of users.
3. After registering, a file download screen should appear. If the window does not appear, this may be caused by your web browser being set to block pop-ups. There should be an Information Bar near the top of your window. It might have a statement like "To help protect your security, Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer. Click here for options..." Click the bar, and a window should appear with an option to allow downloading of the file. You should be able to choose to either Open the file or Save it to your computer.
4. If the Open option is selected, an installation program using Windows Installer should open. Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
5. If you choose to save the DGHGinstall.msi file on your computer, be sure to place the file where it can be easily found such as your desktop. After saving this installation file, execute this program using the 'Run' command from your Windows 'Start' menu or by double clicking the file. Follow the prompts to extract all program files and complete the installation.
6. The installation extracts compressed files and copies them to a new permanent directory or folder. By default, this folder is C:\ DairyGHG. The installation also creates a shortcut on your desktop labeled DairyGHG.
7. If the installation file (DGHGinstall.msi) was saved on your computer, you can conserve disk space by deleting this file from your desktop or other location where it was saved.
8. The Dairy Greenhouse Gas Model is now ready for use. Click the DairyGHG icon to enter the main window. The model is initially set to represent a typical dairy farm in central Pennsylvania. Other farms of various sizes are also provided along with weather files for all 50 states of the U.S. After starting with the default farm, any other parameter changes can be made. Help in using the model can be obtained at any point by pressing the F1 key, using the context sensitive help, or by selecting User Help from the Help menu.
9. NOTE FOR INTERNATIONAL USERS: If the program fails to load, the problem is likely in reading numbers in the default data files. The Windows operating system must be configured to read numbers as they are used in the United States (i.e. 1,000.00). If the use of the comma and period are reversed, the program will fail. This problem can be corrected by opening the Regional and Language Options in the Windows Control Panel of your computer. After entering this dialog box, select English for the United States as the preferred regional setting or use the customize option to accept numbers in this required format.
To register and download the Dairy Greenhouse Gas Model, select this line.