PierceÆs disease studies on host range of pathogen, spatial distribution on small scales, and plant community associations of the disease.
Armillaria root disease studies on the diversity and population biology of Armillaria species in natural and agroecosystems, infection biology, biocontrol by antagonistic rhizobacteria, and identification of resistant
Arbuscular mycorrhizae studies on species diversity in vineyards, nutrient capture, and roles in soil sustainability.
· Baumgartner K, Steenwerth KL, Veilleux L. In press. Effects of organic and
conventional practices on weed control in a perennial cropping system. Weed
· Baumgartner K, Rizzo DM. 2006. Relative resistance of grapevine rootstocks
to Armillaria root disease. American Journal of Enology and Viticulture
· Cheng X, Baumgartner K. 2006. Effects of mycorrhizal roots and extraradical
hyphae on 15N uptake from vineyard cover crop litter and the soil microbial
community. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 38:2665-2675.
· Baumgartner K, Warnock AE. 2006. A soil inoculant inhibits Armillaria
mellea in vitro and improves productivity of grapevines with root disease.
Plant Disease 90:439-444.
· Baumgartner K, Smith RF, Bettiga L. 2005. Weed control practices and cover
crop management affect mycorrhizal colonization of grapevine roots and
arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal spore populations in a
· Baumgartner K, Warren JG. 2005. Persistence of Xylella fastidiosa in
riparian hosts near northern
· Baumgartner K. 2004. Root collar excavation for postinfection control of
Armillaria root disease of grapevine. Plant Disease 88:1235-1240.
· Cheng X, Baumgartner K. 2004. Arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi-mediated
nitrogen transfer from vineyard cover crops to grapevines. Biology and
Fertility of Soils 40:406-412.
· Cheng X, Baumgartner K. 2004. Survey of arbuscular mycorrhizal fungal
communities in northern
potential of grapevine nursery stock. HortScience 39:1702-1706.