- Adjunct Professor - University of Minnesota
- Department of Soil, Water and Climate
- Water Resources Center (WRC)
- Associate Editor for:
- Journal of Environmental Quality
- Waste Management
- Chair for the ASA Biochar Community (2013)
- Vice-Chair for the ASA Environmental Quality Section (2013)
- Treasurer for the University of Minnesota Chapter of Sigma Xi
Soil Physics, Soil Biochemistry, Mathematical Modeling
Current Research Interests
1) The impact of management practices (particularly herbicide, pesticide, and fungicides) on the cycling of carbon, nitrogen, and other greenhouse gases in agricultural systems. This includes the study of the transport and surface exchange of greenhouse gases (nitrous oxide, carbon dioxide, methane) and the impacts of seasonal cycling on their transport.
2) The potential role of biochar application in improving soil fertility with an emphasis on the resulting net greenhouse gas balance.
3) Development of farming practices to improve water quality. This involves a variety of field projects at a number of locations, as well as laboratory research. A particular area of emphasis is the transport and fate of the new strourlibun fungicides in the soil system.
4) Improving mathematical modeling of methane oxidation in soils to improve regional greenhouse gas inventories.