NOTE: This release of the USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference has been superseded. The current release is SR25. Access to Release 18 of the USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference is provided here for those users who may wish to use it for historical reasons.
The suggested citation for this database is:
U.S. Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. 2005. USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 18. Nutrient Data Laboratory Home Page, http://www.ars.usda.gov/ba/bhnrc/ndl
SR18 documentation describing all the files, their fields and relationships. A copy also accompanies each of the download files below.
- ASCII (4,428 Kb) - This file contains the SR18 data in ASCII, delimited files. These tables are organized in a relational format, and are best used with a relational database management system (RDBMS), which will allow you to form your own queries of the database and generate custom reports.
- ACCESS (14,708 Kb) - This file contains the SR18 data imported into a MS Access database. It includes relationships between files and a few sample queries and reports. You need MS Access 2000 to use this file.
Abbreviated - This file contains data for all food items, but not all nutrient values--individual fatty acids, amino acids, alcohol, caffeine, theobromine, phytosterols, starch, individual sugars and vitamin D are not included.
- ASCII (737 Kb) - delimited file suitable for importing into many programs.
- Excel (1,497 Kb) - for use with MS Excel, but can also be used by many other spreadsheet programs.
Update Files - Contains updates for those users who have loaded Release 17 into their own computers and wish to do their own updates.
- ASCII (450 Kb) - delimited file suitable for import into many programs